Really quick post-debate
October 10, 2016 4 Comments
1) Political Science twitter is alight with Trump’s brazen flouting of democratic norms. No, we don’t jail our political opponents in this country. Alas, lamestream media is more concerned by false balance (Trump threatens to jail Clinton vs. Clinton attacks Trump on attitudes towards women). Hopefully this gets the legs it deserves– not that I’m optimistic.
2) Insta-polls show a Clinton win. That matters because I’m convinced insta-polls shape the post-debate narrative, which determines who really wins.
3) I thought Clinton went way easy on Trump. Basically, the Republican Party is crashing down around him and this gets one mention?! How do you not say something about people like John McCain disavowing his candidacy?
4) Trump did not obviously implode and performed better than last time. Super low bar, but for some media types, that’s a “win.” The fact that he literally knows nothing about policy doesn’t matter.
5) Ultimately, though, Trump needed the debate to change the media narrative (groping/ GOP-dumping) that is eating his campaign alive. Not sure he was able to do that. Certainly no big mistakes from HRC that could change it.