October 29, 2014 2 Comments
The quick hits queue is piling up fast and furious this week, so I’m going to do an extra-special bonus early version.
1) How billionaires are becoming political parties unto themselves.
2) Back when I went through my phase of reading classic Sci-Fi I hit A Canticle for Leibowitz. One of those books you appreciate on an intellectual level far more than on an emotional one. I really enjoyed this essay about it, though.
3) How a heroic Nigerian doctor was essential in preventing an outbreak in her country. And she died for her trouble.
4) Really terrific Post story about the front-lines of trying to stop the spread of Ebola in Liberia.
5) Don’t know that I agree with all of this, but interesting piece on Reza Aslan, and the Bill Maher Islam flap.
7) Age is a mindset. And the physical deterioration of your body. But also a mindset.
8) The link between terrorism and mental illness.
9) Advocating for feudalism among Iowa Republicans.
10) Yes, Walmart.com really did have a “fat girls costumes” section for Halloween.
11) Note to PS professors, when doing field experiments try not to mislead voters and/or break state law. Though it is a shame this will hurt the ability to do election field experiments which really tell us so much.
12) How Iceland’s history of feminism may lead to a ban on violent and degrading pornography.
13) I’ve started trying to re-learn the Chopin Prelude I recently linked. It’s hard, but do-able, I think. That said, I wanted to show Evan what was probably the most difficult piece I ever learned. I do not think I will be re-learning Chopin’s “Military” Polonaise, Opus 40 anytime soon.