October 25, 2014 Leave a comment
1) How does a law professor get arrested for standing in a Wal-Mart? When he’s a young black man and part of a Ferguson protest.
2) Marc Thiessen– the right’s leading torture apologist– thinks it’s only a matter of time before ISIS starts using Ebola as a weapon. Of course, this is simply Thiessen’s fantasy.
3) This Planet Money episode on how women started getting way less into computers in the 1980’s (when me and all my male friends loved them) was really, really interesting.
4) I’m an extrovert. Do I look that way?
5) Who knew that Philosophy departments were bastions of sexism?!
6) On reading actual books.
7) One of the better pieces on Renee Zellweger’s plastic surgery. All sorts of things are wrong with our ideas about famous females and their appearance, but all that said, if plastic surgery chances your appearance to the point that people don’t even recognize you, well, that’s worthy of some commentary in it’s own right.
8) Want teenagers to wait longer to have sex? (I do). Then let Planned Parenthood teach them Sex Ed.
9) A couple of my FB friends are totally pushing this ridiculous new competitor to FB that monetizes your posts in a pyramid scheme. Seriously! How many people are looking to make money off FB? There’s far more psychic value in posting photos like this and getting dozens of likes.
10) Interestingly, breast self exams have no value added beyond that which comes from simply paying attention to any changes in your breasts.
11) I’m fascinated by the business of fast food. Good article on why Chipotle is thriving and McDonald’s is not.
12) Lawmakers who support Voter ID and not so interested in responding to their minority constituents. Surprise, surprise.
13) I’ve only read one Percy Jackson book and was way disappointed. Not that that’s the point of this essay on Rick Riordan books and YA fiction.
15) I want some Breaking Bad action figures!
16) More on the Republican attack on science funding.