March 1, 2014 1 Comment
1) Saletan on the pro-choice case for infanticide. Or at least for making us wrestle more fully with the morality and philosophy of the issue.
2) Yes, Whole Foods is America’s temple to pseudoscience and making liberals, therefore, look bad.
3) Alec Baldwin (who, by the way, I love) on why he is saying goodbye to public life.
4) The Republican talent gap on political campaigns.
5) A collection of sad faces from silver medalists. Pretty irresistible.
6) Love this “how to take a shower with a gay athlete.”
7) Chipotle will soon be offering a vegan burrito based on shredded soy. If you’ve been following my occasional musing about meat, you know I’m excited about this. I optimistic that it will be tasty enough that I will, sometimes, replace it for my usual carnitas.
8) How to get fit in a few minutes a week. High-intensity interval training is awesome. But even more awesome if you don’t do it every day.
9) Ads in the science magazine Omni from the 1980′s. Loved these.
10) The real IRS scandal.
11) John Dickerson on the dangers of trying to “be real” for politicians. Great line:
The most wonderful version of this is the Nixon administration effort to humanize their boss. He met small groups of reporters for cocktails and tried to peddle amusing stories to make them think he was not such a cold fish. He didn’t succeed, because he was a cold fish.
12) Great Businessweek piece on the academic/athletic scandal at UNC. The part that always kills me about this is that just because there were some non-athletes in fake classes (who’s enrollment was disproportionately athletes) the UNC administration has the gall to insist this is not an athletics scandal. Sure, as a Duke grad and NC State employee, I’m supposed to hate UNC. I don’t. It’s a great university that usually reflects very well on our state. I hate to see them ruining that.
13) Ivy League schools very narrow view of increasing economic diversity.
14) I was vaguely aware that big stuff was happening in Venezuela. Nice piece in the Atlantic explains what’s really going on (was especially fascinated by the role of Cuba).
15) Teenager blows families $80,000 settlement because she blew the confidentiality agreement by posting about the settlement on facebook.
16) Love this– former Pizza Huts re-purposed (I can think of several in Cary and Raleigh).